Pages

stuff

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What a Day, What a Day

As I sit here listening to the pitter patter of little paws on our hardwood, I am thinking about how lucky I am to be a teacher.
As educators, we won a very difficult race last night.  Glenda Ritz has officially replaced Tony Bennett as our Superintendent of Indiana's schools.  I am excited to have someone who has a background in education as a leader in this state.

That being said...
we still have a long road ahead of us.

Student achievement is (and should be) the most important thing for a teacher.  When my team began this year, 60% of our students COULD NOT READ.  Slowly, but surely, we are making a change.  It may not show on their state test scores yet, but I think it will soon.  They have begun to feel more successful and most have shown it on the tests that we take each week.

It's because of those little nuggets that I work my tushie off each night and weekend.  I am DARN tired of people on the outside looking in saying that teachers don't do anything but take naps, color and babysit all day.  Come walk a day in my shoes.

I spent the morning desperately trying to teach my students to read, the afternoon collaborating with my team to make sure that we are effective in the way we teach phonics and the evening writing lesson plans for next week, grading papers, making sure I know exactly what to do tomorrow to be on my game and trying to get some quality time in with Handsome Husband and my in-laws dogs (that we are watching).  In fact, I shouldn't be blogging right now since I am in the middle of typing a lesson!

I went to bed nervous last night and woke up hopeful this morning.  I know that many of you may be disappointed in the ways the election turned out, but I'm going to ignore that and go back to what is most important in my day...
teaching the leaders of tomorrow to read and be the best citizens they can be. 

Mrs. B

No comments:

Post a Comment