Pages

stuff

Monday, August 6, 2012

Salsa Chicken!

No, I'm not talking about a fowl dancing around...I wish, though!  I start school tomorrow and this recipe is a staple in my school-year diet.  I get Handsome Husband to eat it, too!  I started making a lot of chicken ahead of time in the crock pot and freezing it last Christmas break.  However, I realized that I needed something easy to make and pack in my lunches during the week.

That is when salsa chicken was born.  I have used salsa to cook my chicken for a LONG time because it made a sort of sauce and kept the chicken juicy.  Once I got a Crock-Pot for our wedding I was able to perfect it!

Here's the recipe...it's wicked hard...you ready???

6 chicken breasts (I usually get the family pack from my local grocery store)
1 large jar of salsa

THAT'S IT!!!!!  I put the chicken breasts in the Crock-Pot, dump the salsa on top of them and then cook on low for 8-10 hours.  (I've noticed that they are cooked through at 8 hours but are waaayyy more tender at 10.  I think cooking them on low helps, too!)






When the chicken is done, shred it with two forks and scoop into your container of choice to keep in the refrigerator.  Handsome Husband and I eat this daily.  I eat it hot, cold, in lettuce leaves, with REALLY GOOD salsa from the Farmer's Market, with tomato sauce...the possibilities are endless!!!!

I have to make a note:  It says that I eat it with the good stuff...I cook it with the "eh" stuff to keep it tender!  The good stuff is for taste...mango, pineapple, or peach salsa anyone??

Laters!

Mrs. B

2 comments:

  1. Thanks...this is a great idea. I will make this and take for a school lunch. I like the lettuce idea. I love my crockpot, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was one of those things that I thought was too easy to post (let alone bring to a gathering this summer) but it turned out to be a hit! The possibilities are endless. Since the salsa doesn't interfere too much it goes with just about anything! Thanks for reading!

      Delete