Pages

stuff

Monday, December 10, 2012

Melt, Squish, Sprinkle, YUM!

So, as I mentioned before, this weekend was the annual National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation viewing at my parent's house.  
I searched my brain and Pinterest all Friday night and Saturday morning trying to come up with something other than the old standby (chocolate chip cookies).
It got so bad that when I suggested ideas to my mom and she said, "Ew," that I burst out crying and didn't stop for a while.  (Don't worry...I got a nap yesterday.  It helped.)
Finally, I decided to make those Hershey's-Kiss-inside-a-round-pretzel-with-an-M&M-squished-in-the-center-thingys.

Off to Sam's Club I went to get enough without spending a fortune.
Chyeah...I got distracted.

I saw a ginormous box of Rolos and thought, "Holy easy, Batman!!  I can make faux turtles!"
I'd seen these beauts floating around on Pinterest but didn't find separate caramels and chocolates...so...Rolos it was.

I got the MONDO-sized box (36 ct.!) at Sam's Club along with a 2 lb. bag of pecan halves.  (approximately $20 and $16)


I also grabbed some coarse sea salt and parchment paper from my local Martin's.


Then, I preheated the oven to 250 degrees.
(If you can't tell...I have a new camera! :)  I know I said it already...but I'll say it again!)

Then, I lined some cookie sheets with the parchment paper.

After that, I used 10 rolls of Rolos to fill both sheets.  I put the top on the bottom for absolutely no reason.  I think I just liked the way it looked.  I probably had SOME method for my madness, but I truly can't say.


This was a 10-roll job.

This treat was (of course!) made "with" wine.  AKA "Cook's little helper."

Next, I put a pecan piece on the top.

Then, I threw the trays in the 250 degree oven for 3 minutes.

When the three minutes is up take the trays out and squish the pecans into the Rolos.

Once you have squished them, sprinkle some coarse sea salt on them to yum them up even more. Make sure you put them in the freezer (or a cold garage, in my case) to harden them up before packaging.

Now for the packaging...I plan on giving these away for Christmas presents at school...
I got some cello bags and Christmas cardstock at Michael's on sale.  Score!

I can't wait to play Santa!

Have you made anything fun lately??

Laters,

Mrs. B














No comments:

Post a Comment